Inspiration and DIY
- 2017 Insiders Tile Trends Forecast
- 3-Tile Patterns for Unique Floor Tile
- 3 Trendy Tiling Tips for 2017
- 3 Unexpected Ways to Use Glass Tile
- 4 Ways to Use Blue Glass Tile to Create a Dramatic Effect
- 5 Ways to Increase Your Property Value with Tile
- 4 Pantone “Color of the Year” Tiles for Your 2016 Remodel
- 6 Reasons Why Concrete Look Tile Is Pet Friendly
- 10 Unique Tile Designs for Your Home
- Accent Tiling Tips for Modernizing Your Space
- Get Creative with Border Tiles to Add Personal Touches around Your Home
- Home Improvement: 4 Reasons to Replace Tile around Your Home
- House Decorating Ideas: New Tile Offers a Great Return on Investment
- How do You Like Them Organic Apples?
- How a Foyer, Bathroom, or Kitchen Makeover Can Help Sell Your Home
- The Latest Glass Mosaic Tile Design Trends
- Let Your Personality Show in Your Home Décor
- Looking at Tiles for Sale? How to Find Colors and Materials That Inspire You
- Mosaic Tile and Accent Tile Can Add a Springtime Pop of Color
- Small Living Room Ideas: Adding Grandeur with Tile
- A Tile Masquerade
- Tile Patterns Using 2 Different Floor Tiles
- The Versatility of Cement-Look Floor Tiles
- Tiling Tips: How to Ensure Success With an Interior Designer
- Top 4 Benefits of Tile Floors
- Trends from the Big Apple: Flooring and Countertop
- Use Glass Tile and Recycled Materials for an Eco-Friendly Home Design
- Using Natural Stone Flooring to Create a Modern Look
- Using Wood, Stone, and Concrete Tiles to Enhance Your Decor
- Using Glass Mosaic Tile to Add Personality to Your Home
- Update Your Living Room with Mosaic Tile and More
- Updating Your Fireplace Tile: How to Choose the Right Tile
- Will the Wood-Look Tile Trend Stick?
- 3 Ways to Use Color Tile to Brighten Your Home
- 5 Ways to Include Concrete Tiles in Your Home Design
- Tiny House Style
- Get Concrete Flooring without the Hassle
- Tips for Using Wall Tile to Make Your Entryway Stand Out
- Use Glass Mosaic Tile to Add Personality to Your Walls
- Adding Blue and Green Glass Tile to Your Space
- Tile Flooring Tips for the Home Office
- Glass Mosaic Tile: Transform Your Decor Style from Drab to Fab
- How to Use Glass Tile to Create a Modern Look
- Floor Tile and More: How to Think Like a Designer
- Match Your Tile Floors with Today's Design Trends
- Glass Mosaic Tile: Tips and Ideas for Using It in Your Home
- Creative Tile Accent Wall Ideas for Your Home
- Accent Wall Ideas for Kids' Rooms
- The Organic Modern Living Room: How Tile Fits into the Design
- Home and Kitchen Remodel Ideas for a Victorian Look
- Fashion Meets Function: Using Pavers in Your Home's Design
- Trendy Tile Foyer Ideas to Impress Your Guests
- Tile Design: Combining Form and Functionality
- 5 Tile Entryway Ideas That Will Make a Lasting Impression
- 4 Trendy Stone-Look Tile Flooring Options to Consider
- 4 Ways to Use Wall Tiles in Your Living Room and Dining Room
- How to Design a Modern Living Room Using Tile
- Tile Flooring Ideas for Your Dining Room, Living Room, and Hallways
- 4 Flooring Ideas to Transform Your Dining Room
- Make Your Living Room Inspiration Come True with Tile
- 5 Tile Decorating Ideas for Your Winter Cottage
- Living Room Inspiration: Matching Your Tile Floor to Your Wall Paint
- Designing a Marble Fireplace: Choosing the Right Color and Style
- Using Stacked Stone to Add Texture to Your Bedroom
- Home Decorating Ideas: 3 Marble Fireplace Surround Options
- 2016 Kitchen Trends
- 5 Ways to Do a Quick Kitchen Makeover
- Anything-But-Boring Kitchen Tile Layouts
- Backsplash Ideas for Your Kitchen Makeover
- Streamline Your Kitchen for a Busy Lifestyle
- Stay on Trend with Your Kitchen Remodel Using Popular Colors and Tiles
- 4 Unique Ways to Use Kitchen Tiles
- Kitchen Remodel Tips: 5 Ways to Use Your Tax Refund
- How to Use Stacked Stone to Add Style to Your Kitchen
- How to Use a Glass Mosaic Tile Border to Add Personality to Your Kitchen
- From Kitchen Tile Ideas to Space Planning: How to Design Your New Kitchen Like a Pro
- Stylish Kitchen Design Ideas for Any Home
- Mimic Your Kitchen Design in Your Butler's Pantry
- Pairing Your Granite Kitchen Counter with the Right Cabinetry and Backsplash
- Tile Tips and Ideas for White Kitchens
- Kitchen Ideas: Pairing Retro Appliances with Subway Tile
- 3 Inspired Kitchen Island Ideas for Your Kitchen
- Designing a Kitchen Island with Natural Stone Slab
- Kitchen Tile in the Remodeling Process: Tips to Create Appeal and Function
- 3 Small Kitchen Remodeling Projects to Tackle
- Kitchen Remodeling: 3 Tips to Enlarge and Enhance Your Space
- 5 Ways to Use Kitchen Tile Flooring to Create a Contemporary Look
- Trends in Contemporary Kitchens: Increased Function and More
- Kitchen Tile Flooring: Why Wood-Look Tile Is Trending
- 3 Stone Backsplash Ideas for Your Kitchen
- How to Use Black Subway Tile in Your Kitchen Design
- Using Mosaic Tiles to Liven up a Dated Kitchen
- 2016 Bathroom Trends
- The 4 Best Tiles for a Water Resistant Bathroom
- 6 Simple Bathroom Makeovers
- Bathroom Storage Ideas: Maximize Your Space
- Modern Bathroom Tile Ideas
- Tips for Your Bathroom Makeover: Making the Most of a Small Space
- The Zen of Bathroom Remodels
- Bathroom Design Ideas: From Demo to Done
- Bathroom Tiling 101: Glass Subway Tile, Measurement Tips, and Everything in Between
- How to Design a Modern Bathroom
- Bathroom Design Ideas That Use Tile in Creative Ways
- Bathroom Wall Tiles Add Design, Drama, and Dimension to Your Project
- Choosing Shower Tile to Create a Custom Bathroom Design
- Shower Tile Ideas to Transform Any Bathroom
- Marble Bathroom Flooring: 4 Factors to Consider
- Let Bathroom Tiles Be the Foundation of Your Next Remodel
- Bathroom Design Ideas: Frame Your Mirror with Tile
- Neutral Bathroom Remodel Ideas
- 4 Ways to Use a Marble Slab in Your Master Bathroom
- Master Bathroom Ideas: 5 Ways to Make Your Space Your Own
- Master Bathroom Ideas: Design a Ski-Lodge-Inspired Space
- Using Granite for Your Bathroom Vanity
- Bathroom Remodel Ideas Featuring Decorative Accent Tiles
- Choosing Tile for Your Shower Wall: How to Stay Unique and Practical
- 3 Unique Bathroom Flooring Ideas
- Small Bathroom Flooring Ideas Using Large-Format Tiles
- Bathroom Remodel Ideas for Design Consistency
- How to Clean Bathroom Tile before Your Guests Arrive
- How to Clean Bathroom Tile Safely
- Designing the Perfect Walk-In Shower with Tile
- Designing Tiled Showers for Your Guest Bathroom Makeover
- How to Design the Walk-In Shower of Your Dreams
- Top Notch Bathroom Designs: Planning the Perfect Master En Suite
- 10 Top Tips for Getting Bathroom Tile Right
- Reinvent the Traditional Tub Surround with Tile
- Bathroom Designs and Beyond: How to Tackle the Planning Process
- Bathroom Designs: Pairing a Claw-Foot Tub with the Right Tile
- Shower Designs Featuring Large-Format Tiles
- Simple Bathroom Design Ideas to Refresh Your Space
- 3 Reasons Granite is Still the Best Choice for Countertops
- 3 Reasons to Add a Granite Countertop to Your Kitchen
- All About Natural Quartzite Countertops
- Colorful Granite Countertop for Any Design
- How to Clean and Seal Granite Countertops
- Granite Countertops at Daltile
- Granite Countertop Finishes
- Granite Countertops: 5 Distinctive Features
- Installing a Granite Countertop: Choosing the Perfect Finish
- Natural Quartzite FAQ
- Robust. Beautiful. Solid Countertops.
- Select the Perfect Edge for Your Granite Countertops
- Use Tile Countertops to Create Any Kitchen Style
- Using Quartz Countertops to Transform Your Basement Bar
- What Everybody Ought to Know About Granite Tile Countertops
- 7 Ways to Decorate with White Granite Countertops
- 4 Stylish Ideas for Kitchen Countertops
- 3 Types of Countertops for the At-Home Chef
- Using Tile Countertops to Create a Modern Kitchen Design
- Get Modern Quartz Countertops with ONE™ Quartz
- Granite and ONE Quartz® Countertops: An Objective Look
- The Latest Solid Surface Countertops: New Popular Stone and Stone-Look Options
- Stone Countertops: Choosing a Decorative Edge
- Add Black Granite Countertops to Your Home Design
- 3 Backsplash Ideas to Modernize Your Vacation Home
- 7 Ways to Do Backsplash for Granite Countertops
- Backsplash Ideas for a Country-Style Kitchen
- Backsplash Ideas to Enhance Your Kitchen or Bath
- Backsplash Ideas to Help Create Your Dream Kitchen
- Functional and Gorgeous Backsplash Ideas
- How a Metal Backsplash Can Modernize Your Space
- How to Use a Stainless Steel Backsplash to Modernize Your Kitchen
- Need Ideas for Your Mosaic Tile Backsplash?
- Which Tile Backsplash Material Should You Choose?
- How to Install a Tile Backsplash: Designing the Right Ceramic Tile Layout
- How to Install a Ceramic Tile Backsplash in Your Guest Bath
- Designing a Travertine Backsplash
- 5 Benefits to Installing Bathroom Shower Tile Yourself
- 5 Tips for Optimal Tile Installation
- Ceramic Tile Installation Is Easier Than You Think
- Home Improvement Tips: The Importance of the Backer Board
- How to Grout Tile
- How to Install Shower Tiles Like a Pro
- How to Remove Glass Tile Safely
- How to Install Wall Tile Yourself
- Installing Floor Tile
- Installing Large Format Tile
- Installing Wall and Countertop Tile
- Installing Wall Tiles to Modernize Your Space: A Guide
- Installing Your Own Granite Tile? Here's a Rundown of the Tools You Need
- Tiling Tips for the High-Tech Home
- Tiling Tips: How to Mix Tile, Hardwood, and Carpeting
- Using a Tile Cutter: Tips and Tricks
- Tile Installation: Using Environmentally Friendly Tiles and Materials
- Drilling Into Tiles: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Tiling Tips: Creative Uses for Leftover Tile
- Subway Tile
Wood Look Tile
- 4 Benefits of Wood-Looking Tile
- 4 Myths about Wood-Grain Tile
- Faux Wood Flooring: How to Choose and Use This Smart Tile Product
- Reclaimed Wood Tile
- Tile That Looks Like Wood: A New Flooring Option
- Update Your Bathroom Flooring with Wood-Look Tile
- Using Tile That Looks Like Wood: From Rustic to Romantic
- Using Wood-Look Tile to Spruce Up Your Home's Interior Design
- Wood Effects Tile: An Alternative to Hardwood Flooring
- Wood Look Tile Flooring
- Faux Wood Flooring Ideas for Every Room
- Home Decorating Ideas: Using Wood-Look Tile in Wet Areas
Pool & Outdoors
- 3 Ways Granite Slabs Can Update Your Patio
- 4 Ways to Add a Flagstone Patio to Your Summer Home
- Choosing Outdoor Tile: 4 Things to Consider
- Create a Flagstone Patio and More: 4 Unique Design Ideas
- Outdoor Tiles: How to Use Glass Tile
- Patio Tiles: 3 Steps to Prepare Your Patio for Summer
- Pool Tile Update: Bringing Life Back into Your Vacation Home
- Update Your Backyard Oasis: Pool Tile and Other Trends
- Use Patio Tiles to Create the Perfect Outdoor Oasis
- Using Pool Tile to Transform Your Tired In-Ground Pool
- Choosing the Right Pool Tile for Your Deck
Natural Stone Tile
- 3 Reasons to Upgrade with Limestone Tile in Your Summer House
- Bring the Outdoors in with Natural Stone Tile
- Granite, Marble, and Limestone Tile: 3 Stone Options to Consider
- Granite Slabs: Fine Art for Your Kitchen
- Natural Stone Tiles: 3 Things You Should Know
- Natural Stone Tile vs. Natural Stone Facade: What's the Difference?
- Polished, Flamed, or Honed Granite? A Guide to Different Finishes
- Elegant Living Room Design Ideas Incorporating a Range of Marble Finishes
- Modern Style Tips for Marble Flooring
- 4 Marble Flooring Options for a Classic Home
- 3 Reasons Why Limestone Tile Flooring Is Right for You
- How to Design with Ubatuba Granite
- Use Santa Cecilia Granite to Blend Nature into Your Design
- Design Ideas for Using White Granite in Your Home
- 4 Common White Granite Questions Answered
- Use Santa Cecilia Granite to Transform Your Home
- How to Feature Gold Granite Vanity Tops
- Tips for Adding Black Granite to Your Kitchen, Bath, and Living Room
2016 KITCHEN TRENDS
9 IDEAS FOR YOUR REDESIGN
This is the year you've been waiting for-it's finally time to redesign your kitchen. Whether you know exactly what you want or you're just beginning, 2016's timeless trends will help you get and stay on track. Add to that the expertise of Daltile's tastemakers in tile and you'll get a gorgeous kitchen this year.
Read on to hear about up-and-coming trends for 2016.
No more matchy-matchy. The coming year will see lots of mixing of textures, sizes, shapes, and materials. Colors will remain mostly neutral but interesting design comes in many other packages.
Concepts of the Look
There are lots of ways to mix it up. You might try one material on the wall and a different one on the floor. Or you might opt for a busy floor pattern and a sleek look on the backsplash. A kitchen island that’s one part granite and one part wood separates prep and dining spaces yet still looks classy.
Tile for Mixing
Our tile designers have really taken the mixed media trend to heart. You’ll find mosaics that mix stone with glass and glass with metallic. Or try a brick tile on the wall and a wood tile on the floor. Put a shaped mosaic on the floor with large format on the wall. The possibilities are endless.
Wood is still hot! And the choices only grow with each passing year. 2016 will be a big year for taking reclaimed wood-looks and incorporating them with contemporary elements.
Concepts of the Look
Even though wood is a very rustic look, you don’t have to have a log cabin design to use it. You can take it to the next level by choosing something to go with it that changes the aesthetic.
Tile for the Wood Look
Season Wood is a big seller at Daltile and that is expected to continue. Look for additions to the collection of wood-look in 2016. Combine this classic and durable look with subway tile or a linear tile on the wall. Sleek tile may be opposite to rustic wood, but the two work together for a transitional style.
Everyone is talking about quartz. And they should, it’s an incredible countertop surface that has it all. It is an engineered stone with 93% quartz, but that other 7% allows for colors and patterns that are difficult to get or are expensive.
Concepts of the Look
There’s nothing quite like stone in the kitchen, but if you have some reservations, you wouldn’t be the first. Quartz is ultra-durable and virtually maintenance-free. With quartz, it’s more about durability than anything else, but slab manufacturers are responding with more design options than have been available in previous years.
Tile for the Quartz
Right now quartz is only available in slab for kitchen countertop and islands. Look for it this year in new shades and colors that mimic your favorite stones.
The color that will get the most traction in 2016 is grey. It goes with everything and comes in hundreds of shades and tones. Warm, cool, dark, light—you name it and it’s yours. Black and white schemes will also continue to be hot. Pops of accent color will be the way the kitchen gets its color.
Concepts of the Look
Neutrals as the basis of the kitchen allow you to accent with color. Since color trends cycle so quickly, you can easily update pops of color to stay relevant. But 2016 might see some more permanent color coming in to play. You’ll start to see kitchen sinks, tile, and other accents in fun colors. Otherwise, stick to grey and you can’t go wrong.
Tile in Color
Daltile will continue to offer fun colors so you can get your colored accents in. Try Rittenhouse Square or some of the bright mosaics like City Lights to brighten things up. With the huge demand for grey, you can find most any tile you want in grey from stone to glass.
2016 tosses conventionality to the wind in favor of functionality. Designers have held on to traditional kitchen elements for many years, but the new year will see some innovation in kitchen functionality.
Concepts of the Look
Cabinet doors that open up and slide out of the way instead of traditional swinging doors, hydraulic “hinges” on cabinets, buttons to open doors, maximized storage with multi-tiered drawers, higher counters, multi-level counters—and it goes on. Anything that will make it easier to use the kitchen is fair game.
Tile for Functionality
With the focus on functionality, you will be able to apply tile where you traditionally couldn’t before. Think large format on the backsplash instead of glass mosaic, or entire walls covered with tile.
Photo features Delicatos White Granite Slab. Backsplash features Mediterranean Ivory Travertine chair rail, and 6 x 6 Tumbled field tile with Fashion Accents™ Illumini Sand in 5/8 x 5/8 mosaic inserts
It’s an art to light the kitchen these days. This year, you’ll see more attention given to feature lighting, like what you’d see over the island.
Concepts of the Look
There are many options when it comes to feature lighting. Chandeliers or pendant lights over the island are the most popular, but any area of the kitchen you want to draw attention to should have either featured light fixtures or accent lighting.
Tile for Lighting
Pay attention to where you place lighting in relation to your tile. If the lighting is too close, it will bring out imperfections and make tile look segmented by the grout lines far more than it would if you keep your lighting about 24 inches away.
Automation is becoming more and more a part of the home. And the kitchen is the perfect place for cutting-edge technology.
Concepts of the Look
Motion-activated lighting is a hit. Or start small and try the motion-activated faucet. Pick up digital read thermometers that alert your phone when the roast is done. Start the dishwasher from your phone. That’s only the beginning.
Tile for a Smart Kitchen
Tile is getting smarter too. Ink-jet printing brings you realistic wood-look and stone-look tiles. StepWise brings you increased slip resistance. ColorBody tile ensures any chips or scratches aren’t blaringly obvious. Plus, Daltile makes a huge effort to use recycled material and uses sustainable practices.
Save money and trouble by selecting a look-alike material instead of the real thing. The look-alikes are so realistic, most people have to take a second look to tell the difference.
Concepts of the Look
It was once taboo, but now you can get faux anything without shame. Even though they aren’t the “real thing”, they are the real deal when it comes to durability and style.
Tile for Look-Alikes
Daltile offers look-alikes in wood, stone, cement, fabrics, and metallic. There are more and better options all the time so check out the current offerings and keep your eyes open for more to come.
Transitional design takes bits of the classic and carefully mixes them with bits of contemporary. It’s the perfect middle-ground for people who want to do something different but not too different.
Concepts of the Look
Transitional design is super popular because it makes everyone feel trendy, but still comfortable. It’s the perfect fit for giving your kitchen a small update without gutting and starting over. Transitional lets you mix your favorites up all together for a design that makes you truly happy.
Tile for the Transitional
Use subway tile to add a little flair to your kitchen. Wood-look or stone both make great backdrops for accent design and they fit seamlessly into both classic style and contemporary. Select other tiles that have versatile options like different finishes or sizes. A thing as simple as a trendy finish can transform your design.
Bring your kitchen up to date with Daltile and some of the hottest trends in 2016.